Please discuss on this article's discussion page if you have an opinion on the deletion of this article.
You can hire a number of companions that take the form of items in your inventory which you activate when you need the help of the companion. Companions can range from simple mercenary humanoids to pet-like creatures. A single companion can be summoned at any time to help you quest through a dungeon or win a difficult battle. Each character in a five-player group can summon their own companion.
Companions are classified by the following types just like classes:
Companions can be purchased for gold, Astral Diamond, seals, Ardent Coins, Trade Bars, Glory or found as rare drops. Additional companions can be acquired from the Grand Emporium in Protectors Enclave, or from the Zen market. A unique companion is also included in each of the Founder's Packs.
At level 16 you will be given the A Companion Quest. The reward is your choice of one of five companions for free. The Cleric Disciple,
Sellsword, Man-at-Arms, Wayward Wizard and Dog are the reward choices and are tradable. All five are of white quality, max rank 15. All fivefour can be purchased for 2 each from the companion vendor who you will be directed to when you receive the companion quest.
[EDIT: The Sellsword is no longer one of the choices from the A Companion quest, but can still be purchased from the companion vendor.]
1. This is the rank of your companion. A rank 30 companion is comparable to a level 60 player. Notice the (Max 15)- this means that the highest rank this companion can achieve is rank 15. A companions rank can be upgraded by one rank (White--> Green--> Blue--> Purple) with the purchase of a companion training tome. The training tomes are not yet available for purchase in the game, but will be added at a later date.
- White quality pets have a max rank of 15
- Green quality pets have a max rank of 20
- Blue quality pets have a max rank of 25
- Purple quality pets have a max rank of 30
2. This is your companion's experience bar. While your companion fights at your side, it will gain experience. Once it has gained enough experience points to ascend to the next rank, the "Begin Training" button will appear. Click this button to send your companion for training.
- While your companion is training, they will be unable to fight at your side or gain experience. Just as if the companion was idle.
- You can speed up the training process by contributing an amount of astral diamonds toward their training. The time that the companion is unavailable for while in training is accumulative. Each rank the companion is sent to train for is added together if you skip a training period. There is a shorter training time for one rank than waiting to train after your companion gains two ranks.
3. These are your companion's powers. Mouse over them for details.
4. Every companion has three equipment slots starting with one slot open at rank 1. As your companion gains ranks, the other two slots will unlock at rank 15 and rank 25.
- Your companion can wear gear from any class, of any quality- even gear that has been enchanted.
5. These are your companion's Runestone slots automatically starting with one slot open at rank 1. As your companion gains ranks, the other two slots will unlock at rank 10 and rank 15. Here you can give your companion additional bonuses depending on what kind of slot your companion has.
6. As your companion gains in rank, they will gain additional costumes or skins at ranks 10, 20 and 30.
7. While there is a limited number of active companion slots, you can have a large number of Idle Companions. You start with three active companion slots and can buy two more with Zen for a total of five active slots. Idle companions must be switched into an active companion slot before they can be summoned. You can only have one active companion summoned to assist you and gaining experience at a time.